all about canadian books
If you LOVE books...I interview new & established authors to find out the
author's story (SO fun to get to know them) & the story behind their book.
Is the press being unfair to Meghan?
And it continues....
OK…my can we please leave Meghan Markle alone rant from last week has to continue due to the continued antics in the press. I’m sure by now you’ve heard HRH The Duchess of Sussex is the first guest editor in British Vogue's 103-year history. The September issue Forces for Change features 15 women who Meghan considers to be trailblazers. Among them are actors, models, politicians, authors and advocates. The focus is female empowerment, diversity, mental health and climate change; all are causes which Meghan is passionate about. Also included, is a candid conversation between former first Lady Michelle Obama and Prince Harry interviews Dr. Jane Goodall —I love it! A noble endeavour, especially in today’s volatile climate. You would think…this would be a solid win for Meghan—it wasn’t.
Meghan Can't Win
Here's what her critics had to say...
1. Where was The Queen on Meghan’s list? A big over site! A major faux pas! Meghan snubbed the Queen! How could Meghan not to include the world’s longest reigning monarch on her list of trailblazers?! This much admired and respected monarch is the epitome of duty, dignity, responsibility, service and tradition. And, as a royal she has successfully kept her nose out of political matters. Yes, the monarchy has slowly evolved under her reign…William married a commoner, Harry married a bi-racial divorcee—a couple of very admirable examples. There is no doubt the Queen is 'solid' and inspirational and deserves to be celebrated but I'm sorry... a 'force of change,' she is not.
2. When Meghan opted not to appear on the cover because according to editor Edward Enninful, “In the end, she felt that it would be in some ways a ‘boastful’ thing to do for this particular project,” Enninful explained on the magazine’s website. “She wanted, instead, to focus on the women she admires.”
What do her critics do? They claim Meghan not wanting to be featured on the cover because it is 'boastful' is an underhanded slight at her sister in-law The Duchess of Cambridge who appeared on the cover in 2016. Which must mean that Meghan also thinks that when Diana, The Princess of Wales and Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice appeared on the cover they too were being ‘boastful.’ Geez-Louise people take it in context and note the key phrasing…she wanted to focus on the women she admires and not herself…it had NOTHING to do with Kate so can we please stop pitting these two women against each other.
3. Another criticism…Meghan's role is to promote Britain yet, there were only 5 British women on the list. Sooo, then it would have been acceptable if the list was exclusively British women? I suspect not. Call me crazy but Meghan was born in the US so she's bound to have American influences too (and there were 5) and, we live in a global world, with global issues, therefore I don't understand the problem of featuring a list of global women. Aren't we all in this making the world a better place together? Also, wasn't this list Meghan's choice?
4. And, compliments of Piers Morgan one of my personal favourites, the list wasn't inclusive because it did not include men. Yes Piers, I can see why this was a complaint because throughout history there has never been any attention given to men's accomplishments...SERIOUSLY!?
5. If Meghan could take the time to meet with Vogue during her maternity leave she should have taken the time to meet Donald Trump and Melania during their state visit. OK...perhaps there's some merit with this one but let's cut her some slack as maternity time is her time off and the meetings with Vogue were done in private, they were not a formal state occasion.
Although, Meghan can't win with the press, she certainly wins with me and the readers in Britain who queued up to purchase a copy of Vogue which went on sale today. Also worthy of mention, the September British issue of Vogue is currently on eBay for 5x's the cover price (£19.99). WAY TO GO MEGHAN! A BIG thanks for highlighting these incredible women. I'd like to invite you to meet Meghan/Vogue's 15 Forces For Change.
Leave a Reply.